Fund III cohort accelerates the energy transition, facilitates discovery of better therapeutics and advances critical industries
ATLANTA & BOSTON & SAN DIEGO & TAMPA, Fla. & WASHINGTON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Anzu Partners, an investment firm delivering capital and strategic support to early-stage breakthrough technology companies, today announced it has raised more than $200 million at the close of its third venture capital fund.
Fund III was established to invest in companies developing next-generation solutions in clean technology, industrial innovations, and life sciences. Investors in Fund III include new and returning public and private institutions, single and multifamily offices, and accredited investors across the U.S. and overseas.
Anzu Partner’s Fund III has deployed $123.1 million to 12 companies across the following sectors:
- AM Batteries is developing a dry coating process for Li-ion battery electrode materials that enables significantly lower cost, manufacturing footprint, and CO2 emissions in battery manufacturing.
- e-Zinc utilizes zinc metal for its long-duration energy storage system, which has the potential to be more cost-effective than comparable lithium-ion systems.
- South 8 Technologies is pioneering a new category of battery electrolytes, utilizing Liquified Gas to enhance the safety, performance, and operating temperature range of Li-ion batteries in energy storage systems and electric vehicles.
- Xendee develops distributed energy resources (DER) planning and operation software for microgrids for electric vehicles and fast-charging infrastructure projects.
- XGS Energy plans to dramatically increase the scalability of geothermal energy while eliminating the need for large volumes of water with its closed-loop heat harvesting technology.
- Arduino is a global leader in open-source hardware that is forging the next generation of IoT, automation, and industrial controls products for enterprise applications, leveraging its substantial community of more than 30 million developers worldwide.
- EnCharge AI is unlocking the full potential of AI from the edge-to-cloud using its robust and scalable in-memory computing technology, enabling broader and more sustainable deployment of computer vision and generative AI products.
- Opscura protects operational technology (OT) against security threats to ensure continuity for manufacturing, transportation and renewable energy providers with vulnerable legacy products.
- Voxeljet is a pioneer of 3D printing solutions, used by the automotive, aerospace, engineering, and consumer goods sectors.
- Codetta Bio is a multiomics technology company using its integrated platform of reagents, hardware, and software to improve research and development of new therapies.
- CytoTronics uses semiconductor microelectrode array technology in a microplate format to study cell function in real time, at single-cell resolutions, revealing novel insights at scale.
- MedCrypt provides cybersecurity software for connected medical devices, such as insulin pumps, scanners and monitors, to demonstrate compliance with security regulations.
The Fund III cohort reflects Anzu Partners’ expanded commitment to clean technology companies that are not only powering the energy transition but also enabling a more sustainable use of resources, representing nearly half of the companies in the portfolio. Previous investments in clean technologies include Niron Magnetics, which is commercializing a non-rare earth permanent magnet alternative, and 6K, which is driving a sustainable domestic battery material production process with near-zero waste and lower carbon footprint.
“Anzu Partners is focused on investing in the breakthrough technologies that will serve as the backbone of industry – and will foster broader access to clean technologies, transformative therapeutics and our electrified future,” said David Michael, Managing Partner and co-founder, Anzu Partners. “There’s no time like the present to invest in the core technologies that will support the industries of tomorrow, because tomorrow is already on our doorstep.”
To further underscore the need to develop next-gen technologies, more than $117 million in government funding and grants have been awarded to Anzu Partners’ portfolio companies, including EnCharge AI, Niron Magnetics, 6K and South 8 Technologies.
Anzu Partners was founded in 2014 with the mission to advance breakthrough technologies and build an investment platform that allows founders to focus on what they do best – build industry-disruptive technologies. Today, Anzu Partners has a bench of more than a dozen technical experts and approximately 70 investment, operations, and platform professionals who offer strategic, financial management, global connectivity, operational, communications and marketing support to portfolio companies as they mature from early stage to commercialization.
Anzu Partners manages approximately $1 billion in strategic assets across several funds and strategies, including two existing oversubscribed venture funds (Fund I with $128 million launched in 2016, Fund II with $190 million launched in 2019), a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (“SPAC”), and a series of special purpose vehicles.
About Anzu Partners
Anzu Partners is an investment firm that focuses on clean tech, industrial and life science technology companies with the potential to transform their industries. Anzu works with entrepreneurs to develop and commercialize technological innovations by providing capital alongside deep expertise in business development, market positioning, global connectivity, and operations. For more information, please visit anzupartners.com.
Anzu Partners is providing this press release for informational purposes only. This is neither an offer to sell nor a solicitation for an offer to buy an interest in any fund managed by Anzu Partners. Any such offer or solicitation will only be made to qualified potential investors pursuant to a private placement memorandum.
The interests in Anzu Partners-advised funds have not been recommended, approved or disapproved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or by the securities regulatory authority of any state or of any other U.S. or non-U.S. jurisdiction, including but not limited to Canada, nor has the SEC or any such securities regulatory authority passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of this document. Investment in any security involves substantial risk. This press release only provides a partial list of the investments made by Anzu Partners-advised funds and does not purport to list all investments made by, or that will be made by, Anzu Partners-advised funds. Anzu Partners is under no obligation to update any of the information set forth herein. Additionally, no guarantee is being given that any investment recommendation made by Anzu Partners will be profitable. This press release includes forward-looking statements that represent Anzu Partners’ opinions, expectations, believes, intentions, estimates, or strategies regarding the future, which may not be realized. These statements may be identified by the use of words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “plan,” “will,” “should,” “seek,” and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements reflect Anzu Partners’ view and assumptions with respect to future events and are subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual and future results and trends could differ materially from those described by such statements due to various factors, including those beyond Anzu Partners’ ability to control or predict. Given these uncertainties, undue reliance should not be placed on forward-looking statements. Anzu Partners does not guarantee that the events described in this press release will happen as described. Statements regarding Anzu Partners’ organization, including without limitation the relative strength or expertise of the organization compared to other private equity firms, are based on the judgment of Anzu Partners, and may include certain assumptions and opinions. You should not place undue reliance on such statements.