Oracle VM 3.2 Now Available
Delivers Unified Management and Enhanced Automation Capabilities for x86 Servers and Oracle SPARC Servers
January 22, 2013 --
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/22/13 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle today announced the general availability of Oracle VM Release 3.2, a key component in Oracle's desktop to data center virtualization portfolio, providing greater operational efficiency with improved ease-of-use, and more automated processes including full command-line support.
- Oracle VM Manager now offers unified virtualization management for Oracle SPARC T-Series Servers running Oracle VM Server for SPARC as well as x86-based servers running Oracle VM Server for x86.
Greater Operational Efficiency and Increased Flexibility at a Fraction of the Cost
- Designed for ease of use and rapid deployment, new features of Oracle VM 3.2 include:
- Broader deployment choices
- In addition to x86 virtualization management, Oracle VM Manager can now discover SPARC servers and create and manage Oracle VM Server for SPARC domains to allow unified and centralized management in mixed data centers, improving operational efficiency.
- Oracle VM Manager also includes MySQL Enterprise Edition for use as the management repository at no additional cost. Oracle VM customers can now choose to use Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, Oracle Database Standard Edition or MySQL Enterprise Edition as the Oracle VM Manager repository when deploying in production environments.
- Greater automation and ease-of-use, for more efficiency in large environments
- Full command-line support enables easy automation: Oracle VM Manager Command Line Interface (CLI) supports the same functions as the Oracle VM Manager browser interface. Common tasks can be scripted and fully automated, saving time and lowering the risk of human error.
- Automated Oracle VM Manager back-up: When using MySQL Enterprise Edition as the Oracle VM Manager database, the management repository is automatically backed-up, permitting rapid recovery of the management environment if needed.
- Tag objects for faster identification of key groups in large environments: Allows custom tags to be created and used to filter the view of VMs and servers in the user interface (UI), enabling users to quickly identify and act on specific subsets of VMs or servers.
- "Multi-select" of objects: Enables users to take action on multiple objects in one step for faster operations in large environments.
- At-a-glance health status: A health status tab in the Oracle VM Manager UI offers expanded and summarized health and status reporting on VM statistics such as memory and CPU usage, allowing for rapid identification of issues before they become problems.
- Direct import of virtual machines into an Oracle VM Manager environment: Reduces the number of steps required to move VMs into an Oracle VM Manager installation.
- Broader deployment choices
- Oracle has also delivered Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.0, providing a range of important new features such as automated secure live migration, power management, and dynamic resource management, enabling best-in-class cloud infrastructure services with the Oracle SPARC T-Series servers.
- With Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.0, users can live migrate Oracle Solaris 10 and Oracle Solaris 11 logical domains simply and securely across differing CPU types, using cpu crypto accelerators, to permit zero downtime cutovers of domains to newer generation environments.
- Oracle VM continues be available as a free download with zero license cost and world-class enterprise support.
- "With the latest release of Oracle VM, Oracle continues to bring significant cost-of-ownership and manageability benefits to x86- and now SPARC virtualization administrators," said Wim Coekaerts, senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering, Oracle. "The new release helps users unify and automate their environments on a larger scale to achieve the greatest efficiency from their infrastructure."
- Oracle Virtualization
- Oracle VM Server for x86
- Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Application-Driven Whitepaper
- Oracle VM software download. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
- Oracle's Virtualization Blog
- Connect with Oracle Virtualization via Facebook and Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire