Fodor's Travel Unveils the 2013 Go List: 25 Can't-Miss Places to Visit Next Year
December 17, 2012 --
New York, NY (PRWEB) December 17, 2012
The experts at Fodors Travel announced today the 2013 Go List of the top 25 places to visit in 2013. The highly-anticipated third annual list covers everything from rising destinations and hot cities to significant events over the next year and great values around the world. Since 1936, Fodors has guided travelers to the ultimate in noteworthy hotels, unique cultural experiences, and vibrant cuisine.
Fodors editorial team travels throughout the year, road testing the latest travel destinations, allowing us to provide essential, first-hand knowledge in our recommendations, said Arabella Bowen, Executive Editorial Director, Fodors Travel. The places on our Go List are our must-dos for the coming year. Travelers should add these far flung and domestic destinations to their 2013 itinerary.
The Fodors Travel experts, including more than 500 global contributors, are continuously searching for up and coming, fresh destinations and experiences for passionate travelers, adventure-seekers and budget explorers alike. To select the 2013 Go List, Fodors senior editorial team began with an initial list of 75 global travel spots, narrowing them down to the final 25 locales on the Go List after heated internal debate.
Six highly-anticipated events for every travelers calendar in 2013.
- Gettysburg, PA: History buffs will flock to Pennsylvania to observe the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. Events commemorating the battle will take place throughout the year, but especially in late June and early July (the battle was fought July 1-3, 1863). Dont miss the National Parks Services guided tours, leaving from the visitor center, and customizable if you book in advance (for example, focusing on an ancestors regiment).
- Ireland: More than 70 million people worldwide are of Irish descent, and in 2013, Ireland is calling them home to discover the Emerald Isle and embrace their Irish roots during a yearlong event called the Gathering. Visitors will celebrate their heritage with Irish music, food, culture and more from around the globe. Travel to Dublin to ring in the New Year, kiss the Blarney stone or savor Atlantic seafood at the Galway Oyster Festival.
- Marseilles, France: Deemed the European Capital of Culture in 2013, Marseilles is an enriching epicenter perched onthe Mediterranean. Hailed as The Naples of France and a favorite destination for artists Paul Cezanne and Auguste Renoir, Marseilles kicks off a year-long soiree on January 12 and includes circuses, art galleries openings, opera performances, exhibitions and air demonstrations.
- Additional noteworthy events on the Fodors 2013 GO List include: the 400th Anniversary of the Amsterdam canals, the 200th Anniversary of Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice in England, and the 200th birthday of Richard Wagner in Germany.
Discover some of the most beautiful up-and-coming travel hotspots across the world.
- Sardinia, Italy: On this hidden Mediterranean island gem located off Italys southern coast, visitors can experience turquoise blue grottoes, medieval ruins, and gorgeous white sand beaches and enjoy mouthwatering Sardinian seafood. Experience quaint B&B agriturismos where local farmers rent rooms to travelers who want to explore the area with ease.
- Myanmar: Travel back in time to the Golden Land also known as Burma in Southeast Asia, the most isolated country in the world for more than 50 years. Just recently opened to outsiders (President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have already made visits), it is largely untouched by hotels and tourism. Travelers can cruise aboard the Orient Express on the Irrawaddy River and experience traditional Buddhist culture. Leave your cell phone at home for an off-the-grid escape.
- Slovenia: This tiny central European country offers travelers a little bit of everything: the snow-capped Alps, the scenic Adriatic Coastand lush parkland. A historic vineyard region, Slovenia offers a growing wine scene in the foothills of the Alps and is considered one of Europes greenest countries. Go now before this charming country gets on the tourism radar.
- Additional emerging hotpots on the Fodors 2013 GO List include: Botswana; The Maldives; Montenegro and Easter Island, Chile.
Travelers on a budget can discover great values in the United States, the Caribbean and Europe this year.
- Samaná Peninsula, Dominican Republic: With new direct flights on JetBlue from the East Coast debuting in 2012, its easier than ever to reach this part of the DR, full of hidden beaches reachable only on foot or by sea, protected coves, and undeveloped bays. Beachgoers and nature lovers can admire the areas natural wonders or relax on the sand, choosing from a number of all-inclusive resorts or low-key beachfront hotels. Plan your trip for mid-December until Spring Break season to beat the crowds and maximize your budget.
- Albuquerque, NM: As famed television drama Breaking Bad comes to an end, fans can immerse themselves in the dramatic desert scenery of the Southwest featured on the show, as well as pick up a unique souvenirblue rock candy from The Candy Lady, who produced the original props of the shows famous Blue Sky.Visit in October to catch the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta; Santa Fe also makes a great add-on to this getaway.
- Seville, Spain: The enchanting capital of Andalucía, Seville is a passionate and romantic city that features excellent tapas bars, vibrant nightlife and stylish locals. Seville captures all the essentials of Spain in one city: from flamenco dancing andbullfighting to Roman art and architecture. Sleep like a king for under $300 a night at the Hotel Alfonso XIII, named a Royal Pedigree winner in Fodors 100 Hotel Awards in 2012.
- Other value destinations on the Fodors 2013 GO List that wont break the bank include: New Orleans; Azores Islands, Portugal and the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica.
At the top of Fodors must-go and buzzworthy list are six alluring destinations.
- Walt Disney World: Experience the enchantment of beloved Disney characters and check-out the newly re-opened Fantasyland, the largest expansion to date in the history of Magic Kingdom Park!
- Mexico City: New flights from New York, Miami and San Antonio via Interjet whisk travelers to this European-style capital to take in the historic Mexican architecture and Aztec ruins, burgeoning contemporary art scene, and authentic cuisine. The citys current rebirth means its safer to visit than recent years; visitors can find affordable flights year-round and experience this fabulous capital city and its culturel . Also notable is the newly-opened (and luxurious!) J.W. Marriott Mexico City located in the heart of the business and entertainment district.
- New Zealand: Images of New Zealand will be everywhere again with the December 2012 release of the Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. The films captured the ravishing Kiwi landscape as the setting for the magical Middle Earth, and fans can see the breathtaking scenery for themselves, as well as sip renowned Central Otago wines and try adventure sports like trekking, bungee jumping and whitewater rafting.
- Additional buzz-worthy destinations on the Fodors 2013 GO List include: Brooklyn, NY; Portland, OR and Istanbul, Turkey.
The complete Fodors 2013 Go List and relevant destination guides can be found at http://www.fodors.com/go-list/2013.
Fodors Travel publishes up to 85 guidebooks each year, with local correspondents covering over 7,500 destinations around the globe. This expert travel advice is available in every format, from guidebooks and eBooks to mobile apps and the Fodors.com website. Fodors core editorial team also travels extensively to research destinations and identify top places to visit, traveling to more than 75 locations worldwide the past 12 months alone.
About Fodors Travel
Fodors Travel, a division of Random House, Inc., is one of the worlds leading providers of travel information. Covering over 7,500 worldwide destinations, Fodors guidebooks and website, Fodors.com, have provided the most up-to-date, accurate information for travelers since 1936. Written by a vast team of global correspondents, Fodors provides travelers with engagingly written, locally reported, and absolutely indispensable travel guidance. Visit http://www.Fodors.com.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10242344.htm.