Americans Will Head to Beach and International Destinations in 2017
AAA Travel experts share what's in store for the millions of Americans planning vacations in the new year
January 12, 2017 -- !-- AddToAny BEGIN -->
ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- According to a recent AAA survey, 42 percent of Americans are planning to take a vacation in 2017 with most planning trips to warm-weather destinations in the U.S. and abroad. All signs are pointing to a busy year for vacationers and the travel industry. Approximately one-third (30 percent) of U.S. adults say they are more likely to take a vacation this year compared to 2016, and they're looking for a new kind of travel experience.
"There is a lot of pent-up demand for travel in the new year," said Bill Sutherland, AAA senior vice president of travel and publishing. "Whether they're taking a road trip to a well-known domestic destination or visiting an exotic international locale, today's travelers are seeking experiences that are unique and immersive."
With much of the country in the midst of a harsh winter, warm-weather destinations in the United States and Caribbean are topping most Americans' travel itineraries. The top destinations for 2017, based on AAA's travel bookings, are:
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (2)
- Rome, Italy (1)
- Montego Bay, Jamaica (3)
- London, England (4)
- Nassau, Bahamas (6)
- Orlando, Florida (1)
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2)
- Anaheim, California (3)
- Miami, Florida (4)
- Las Vegas, Nevada (6)
*Numbers in parentheses indicate 2016 rankings.
According to AAA, destinations with the most notable increases in travel bookings include Melbourne and Sydney, Australia; Toronto and Vancouver, Canada; and Cancun, Mexico.
AAA's travel experts have identified these top trends for 2017:
- Experiential Travel: Both novice and expert travelers alike are seeking travel experiences that help to facilitate a deeper connection to the cultures, people and traditions of a destination. For example, AAA has noted an increase in travelers booking tours that include opportunities to dine with local families or receive hands-on tutorials from local craftspeople.
- O Canada: Canada is an increasingly popular vacation destination, thanks to its close location and favorable currency exchange rates that make trips there affordable and accessible to more Americans. Canada will also celebrate its 150th birthday in 2017, offering visitors many opportunities to experience special events and learn more about the country's history and traditions.
- The "I"s Have It: AAA notes a significant amount of demand for travelers visiting Europe in 2017. Ireland and Iceland are expected to be particularly popular, thanks to the availability of low airfares and the perception that both countries are safe?yet for many travelers, previously unexplored?destinations.
- River Cruising: According to a AAA survey, four in 10 Americans would consider a river cruise for an upcoming vacation and 24 percent said they are likely to take a river cruise in the next five years. And despite the perception that river cruising appeals primarily to older generations, millennials are more likely to consider a river cruise for an upcoming vacation than either their Generation X or Baby Boomer counterparts.
- National Parks: The National Park Service celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2016, to great fanfare. Following all-time record visitation in 2015, the national parks remain an attractive vacation destination for many. According to a recent AAA survey, 79 percent of Americans say they are as likely or more likely to visit a national park through the first half of this year, building on the momentum of last year's centennial celebrations.
Before setting out on a vacation, travelers should contact their local AAA office for the expert advice of a trusted travel advisor who can provide personalized service and first-hand destination knowledge to create a memorable vacation experience. Travelers can also download the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. The app can be used to map a route, find the lowest gas prices, access exclusive member discounts, find more than 58,000 AAA Approved and Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants, request roadside assistance and more. For more information or to begin planning a trip, visit AAA.com/Travel.
As North America's largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 56 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/americans-will-head-to-beach-and-international-destinations-in-2017-300389614.html
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved